You are here: Sri Vaishnava Home Page : Bhakti List : Archives : July 2000

Upanayanam. - A question.

From: Vijay Sridharan (vijayk_sri_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jul 30 2000 - 13:19:32 PDT

Dear bhagavataas,

I am very pleased to be a part of this great group.
Well, my cousin and myself encountered this while
discussion about upnayanam. Well, from what my cousin
had read, it seems if upnayanam is done after 14 (I am
not sure whether 14 or 16 ) years, then the mantras
that are chanted with the sacred thread do not have
the complete effect.

Please forgive me if I am using the word "effect" in a
way that is not suitable with respect to poonal. I am
not sure whether this is a myth or is there a real
good reason behind the age restriction.

Om Namo Narayana

Ever respectful,
Vijay