need info about 3 generations : Pravarams for ThirukkalyANam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• January 14, 1999

Dear Sri Govindarajan :

You had asked about the details on the Pravarams going
upto three generations that are used in the ThirukkalyAna
uthsavams for the divya dampathis in the context
of the celebrations this weekend at the Balaji
Temple at Bridgewater, NJ .

On this auspicious day , when our ANDAL's
" Vangak Kadal kadaintha Madhavanaik Kesavanai--"
is being recited at the various Temples and homes and
where our ThaayAr is blessing us ALL with Her benedictions ,
" SenkaNN Tirumuhatthuc chelvat ThirumAlAl,
YENGUM THIRUVAUL peRRu inpuRuavarempAvAi " ,
it is my bhAgyam to respond to your question
on pravarams for the Divya Dampathis  , when we
as Their children celebrate their ThirukkalyAnam .

Our Sri Sampath Rengarajan's brilliant postings
on the deep meanings of the individual words of
the first paasuram of ANDAL ( KaarmEni ,
SenkaNN , Kathir , ILam Singham et al ) provide
the right background to answer your Query .Their
resonances are still ringing in my head .Inview of possible
interest of other BhakthAs performing the ThirukkalyANams
at the different temples , I am copying my response
to the other members of the two other Lists .

Today also happens to be the Thirunakshathram
for Thondaradippodi AzhwAr , who woke up
Sri RanganaathA in the early morning at Srirangam
with his ThirupaLLIyezucchi Paasurams just as
ANDAL woke up Vatapathra sAayi at SriVillipputthUr .
Threfore by every measure , it is good to choose
today( BhOgi paNDikai day ) to write about
the three generation Pravarams of the divya
Dampathis ,, who are Adhi madhyAntha rahithALs
( Those with no beginning ,middle or end ).

What is a Pravaram ?
*********************

Pravarams and gOthrams are intimately connected
with the genealogies of some of the Vedic seers
( Rishis ) ; the concept of pravaram ( literally
choice in vocation ) and gOthram ( lineage, family ,
a cow pen literally ) are interwoven and and are
recited in several domestic ceremonies
such as Marriage , Upanayanam , mEkalA bhandhanam , Chowlam
et al ). The accepted meaning of pravaram is connected
with one or more illustrious ancestors of the YajamAnA
(Sacrificer ), the family ancestors of repute ,
prominent manthra kruths ( Vedic seers ).

In this contxt , the pravarAs of Athri maharishi
as given by Aapasthambha and BoudhAyana sutrakArAs
are : AatrEya AarchanAnasa SyAvAsva . This is the
lineage of PadmAvathi ThAyAr;She belongs to the AathrEya
gothram . These are woven in in Her Pravaram as
recorded below.

SrI VenkatEsan belongs--as a Yajus SaakhAdhyAyI --
to the Vasishta-MithrAvaruNI family and is of
Koundinya gOthram . VasishtA is the well known
rishi of the 7th canto of Rg vedam . SrI VenkatEsaa
is however chathur Veda svarUpI .He is identified here
as Yajur Veda AdhyAyin because , Yajur Vedam
is the dominant Vedam in the South ( Tamil Naadu-
AandhrA regions ), where His temple stands
on the top of the seven hills .

Pravaram for Sri Padmavathi SamEtha Sri Srinivasan

There are three different pravarams ( Sri
Padmavathi samEtha Sri Srinivasan ,
Sri RanganAyaki samEtha Sri RanganAthan and
Sri MahA Devi SamEtha Sri VaradarAjan )
that weave in the details from the
respective sthala purANams . BTW , at
our Kula dhaivam's temple at Oppilliappan Sannidhi
( Sri Bhumidevi SamEtha Sri SrinivAsan's sannidhi ) ,
the divya dampathis enjoy ThirukkalyAnam
almost every day .The pravarams are almost the same
as the one at Thirumalai , since Oppiliappan Koil
is revered as DakshiNa Thiruppathi and
ThiruviNNagarappan is revered as " the elder "
in Archai to Sri Thirumalaiappan ("Balaaji ") .
I will therefore write about the ThirukkalyANa pravaraNam
at our temple , which applies as well to the Moorthys
at the Bridge water temple . Incidentally , there is
an excellent audio tape covering the ThirukkalyANam
at ThiruviNNagar . Sri Sampath Rengarajan has sent it
earlier to those , who took part in the RathnAngi
or Mutthangi AbhAraNa samarpaNa Kaimkaryam at
Oppiliappan Koil as MahA prasAdham.

Background for pravaram
*************************
In Vaidhika VivAhams in Bhaaratha Desam , it is
a key step to recite the gOthra Pravarams of both
the bridegroom (Varan)and the bride (VadhU) and
consider them as SaakshAth NaarAyaNa svarUpi
and the Kannikai/VadhU as SaakshAth MahA Lakshmi
SvarUpi and peform KanyAdhAnam . The Vedic aspects of
the wedding ceremonies are archived in the Sri VaishNavA
home page by Sri Mani VaradarAjan and soon
Srimathi KalyANi KrishNamachAri will be writing
about them as ANDAL experienced them through Her
VaaraNamAyiram Paasurams .

The Gothra Pravarams of Sri Padmavathi
SamEtha Sri SrinivAsan have been constructed by
our revered elders from the slOkams of BhavishyOtthara
PurANam and the recitation of this pravarams
would yield the divya dampathi's choicest blessings ,
when we recite them .

Sri VenkatEsa PerumAL's Pravaram
**********************************

Yajur vedha SaakAdhyAyinE ,

Vaasishta MaithrAvaruNa Koundinya trayArirshEya ,
pravarAnvitha Vasishta gOthrOthbhavasya ,YayAthi
MahArAjA varmaNE naphthrE ,

Vaasishta MaithrAvaruNa Koundinya TrayArshEya ,
pravarAnvitha Vasishta gOthrOthbhavasya
SoorasEna MahArAja VarmaNa: PouthrAya ,

Vaasishta MaithrAvaruNa Koundinya TrayArshEya ,
praarAnvitha; Vasishta gOthrOthbhavasya
VasudEva MahaarAja VarmaNa: PuthrAya

Vaasishta MaithrAvaruNa Koundinya TrayArshEya ,
PravarAnvitha Vasishta GOthrOthbhavaaya ,

ThribhuvanAdhIsvarAya , akilAnDakOTi BrahmANDa-
naayakAya , TattvAthIthAya , Sakala NishkaLa
svarUpAya , SurAsurArchitha Padha padma yugaLAya ,
akhilOnnatha pavithrAya , AarthathrANa paarAyaNAya ,
Para VyUha VibhavAntharyAmyarcchA svarUpiNE ,
Chandra vamsa PaavanAya , SaraNAgatha santhrANa
TathparAya ,

SrI VenkatEsa VarmaNE SAAKSHAATH NAARAAYANA
SVARUPA VARAAYA ,

Jagan MaathA Padmaavathi ThAyAr(VadhU) PravaraNam

AathrEya AarchanAnasa SyAvAsva thrayArshEya ,
pravarAnvitha AathrEya gothrOthbhavasya ,
Suveera MahArAja varmaNE napthrIm ,

AathrEya AarchanAnasa SyAvAsva ThrayArshyEya ,
pravarAnvitha AathrEya gOthrOthbhavasya ,
Sudharma MahArAja VarmaNa: PouthrIm ,

AathrEya AarchanAnasa SyAvAsva ThrayArshEya ,
pravarAnvitha AathrEya gothrOthbhavasya ,
AakAsa MahAraaja VarmaNa: PuthrIm ,

AathrEya AarchanAnasa syAvAsva ThrayArshEya ,
pravarAnvitha AathrEya gOthrOthbhavAm ,

chathurdasa BhuvanAdhIsvarIm , akhila JaganmAtharam ,
tatthva-svarUpiNIm , Chandhra Vamsa pradhIpikAm ,
saraNAgatha santhrANa tathparAm , chaithanya
DhAyinIm , SaaparAdhaanapi SvakatAksha VisEshENa
anugrahNanthIm , aj~nAtha nigrahAm , SaakshAn
Mahaa Lakshmi SvarUpiNIm ,

PadmAvathI naamnIm madhIyAm imAm kanyAm prajA
sahathva karmabhya: prathipAdhayAmi

ithi KshIrAbhdhiriva MahA Lakshmim SrimathE
NaarAyaNAya Sobhana ManthrAkshatha HirNyOdhaka
dhArA sahitham , mandhasmithAm PadmAvathIm ,
Sri Venkatesa karAravindhE SamarpayAmAsa :

SrI PadmAvathi SamEtha SrI SrinivAsa ParabrahmaNE nama:

Oppiliappan Koil VaradAchAri SadagOpan