Re: Men-Women difference

From the Bhakti List Archives

• January 25, 1998

At 11:54 AM 1/25/98 -0700, vasan@lexmark.com wrote:

>I understand why "Sri Vaishnava Men" wear the SriChurnam or Thirunamam. If
>the Thirunamam signifies the feet of the Lord and Thayar, why is it that
>Women wear only the Thilakam (Thayar?)

Page 611 of Ahnikagrantham written by HH the
45th Jeeyar of Srimad Ahobila Mutt in HH's
poorvasramam says the following about how
women should wear thirumaN and Sri ChoorNam:

    ".. iraNdu kaalkaLaiyum alambi, Achamanam
    seydhu bhagavaan thiruvadi vadivil thirumaN
    ittukkoNdu naduvil dheeparEkai pOnRa vadivil
    srichoorNaththai tharikkavENdum."

    (.. after cleansing both feet, perform achamanam.
    Then wear ThirumaN in the form of Bhagavan's divine
    foot.  In the center wear Sri ChoorNam in the form
    of "dheepam".)

I have seen older women wear thirumaN in the form of a
small crescent moon near the nose bridge area and sri
ChoorNam on the forehead just like men.

-- adiyEn Srivatsangachar dhaasan