rituals in iyengar and iyer marriages

From the Bhakti List Archives

• January 28, 1997

Dear Dr. Kanaka Vasudevan :

I will take  a guess on the reasons behind
the colorful and ancient ceremonies associated
with our Marriage ceremonies of the kind listed by
you. They are now woven deeply into the stages of
marriage leading to the Vedic -sanctioned steps
described by GodhA Piratti in her VaraNamAyiram
paasurams .

The observances that you referred to in
the south Indian marriages are an evolution of
centuries of hand -me-down type of observances.
They have no Vedic Significance , except that they
recognize and salute pancha bhuthams , Ashta Dig devatAs
and seek auspiciousness for the couple to be united thru
the Vedic ceremonies. Dhrushti Dhosham and non-offense to
"Sillarai daivams " appear to be the reasons for it for
Sumangalis to make the Vilakku PrathakshiNam .BHotha Suddhi
of a special kind is also implied inn these observances.The
color of the Urundais have close connection to some of
the Dig PaalakAs. Like Mantra Kavacham gives dig Bhandhanam,
these offerings "appease " the appropriate Dig paalakAs
to ward off any untoward happenings during the ceremonies.

The carrying of the bride and bride groom by the uncles
is a practise , which originated at the time , when the
children were betrothed at an early age ( 6-12 years )
and the elders enjoyed the fun of carrying these
"dolls " on their shoulders and exchanging garlands
from the back of the respective uncles . Inview of
the advancement of the marriage years these days reaching into the
twenties and thirties , the practise of carrying
(1) heavy and (2 ) adults with "modern views "
on the back of "fragile " and unwilling uncles
is not observed often for understandable reasons.

In PerumAL ThirukkalyANams in Oppiliappan Koil ,
the two Archakars representing the bride ( Sri Bhumi Devi )
and bridegroom ( Sri Oppiliappan ) exchange garlands
on their  behalf.Godha Piraati 's exchange of Garlands
with Sri Ranganatha has been celebrated by Swami Desikan
in one of the verses of GodhA Sthuthi .

There are a lot of marriage songs that used to be
sung during the different stages of wedding of four days
in old times . My grand mother was a great storehouse of
such songs and she was very much in demand with others to
add gaitey to the occasion.They are more or less lost now.

The sounding of MangaLa Vaadhyams , the invocation to
the Gods at every level to ward off dhrushti Dhosham ,
the pronouncement of Vedic manthrams to obtain the blessings
of happy married life with progeny and prosperity
to fulfill the obligations of GrahasthAsrama DharmA
and confer happiness on the about-to-be married couple are
some of the reasons for these ceremonies .

I am sure htere are other members of the group,
who can add more insights .

V.Sadagopan