You are here: Sri Vaishnava Home Page : Bhakti List : Archives : January 1997

Re: Personal Introduction - New member

From: Mani Varadarajan (mani_at_best.com)
Date: Fri Jan 24 1997 - 17:19:37 PST

> can a Vaishnavite wife keep whetting her curiosities about scriptures
> asking questions as and when they arise?

Of course she should! I am reminded of the great dialogue
between the rishi yAjnavalkya and his wife maitreyi that
takes a central place in the brhadAraNyaka upanishad.
We see in maitreyi's questions some of the fundamental
issues facing the individual.  Where would Vedanta be
without her questioning? And what of Gargi, who would
not rest until her curiosity about ultimate reality
led to Brahman Itself?

Mani