You are here: Sri Vaishnava Home Page : Bhakti List : Archives : January 1996

equality

From: krish (krish_at_astro.ge.com)
Date: Fri Jan 19 1996 - 05:53:57 PST

A comment has been made on equality and whether it matters.
Is it because the questioner is a man? It depends whose ox
is being gored. Equality is difficult to achieve but one
has to accept that we are progressing towrds such a goal
and Western civilization has contributed more in the
recent centuries.
The change in women's status from being honored to
becoming sub-servient occurs in Manu's laws.
It might have worsened during the Mugal rule,
since I feel purdah was not in vogue proir to
it. Don't uou think that our samprdayas must change
to right such wrongs?