Re: Rama's banishment of Sita

From the Bhakti List Archives

• January 18, 1996

(i) For a kshatriya, His dharma is to protect his honour.
(ii) Sugriva's dharma is different.  Sugriva even accepts Tara as his wife and
the manava dharma of that time was certainly different.  Rama cannot be accused
of hypocrisy for applying one standard to sugriva and a different standard to
himself.

(ii) In the unfolding of the divine drama the deer incident was essential.  I
do not think anyone blames Sita for the deer incident.  As a consequence of
what she had to undergo, she did repent her action later.  Rama could not bear
the separation of seetha even for a moment and that itself could be considered
as a self-inflicted punishment for the Lord.  While logic and reason disects
everything thread-bare, love harmonises all contradictions.  The Sathyam,
Jnanam, Anantham Brahman puts on limitations when He decides to incarnate. Even
the fact that Rama is the incarnation of the Supreme being is denied by him. He
looses Himself inorder to find Himself in the divine game.  I think banishing
Seetha was perhaps less painful to her compared to the pain Rama had to undergo
because of separation.  Still the Lord did it.  We can easily imagine what a
mental agony it would have been for our Prabhu to have done that.  It is
essential that when we read the Ramayana our heart, more than our head, must be
in it.  Thanks.

Vijayaraghavan