Re: Rama's treatment of Sita

From the Bhakti List Archives

• January 17, 1996

On Wed, 17 Jan 1996, Mani Varadarajan wrote:

> To say that Rama was acting in character as a purely rational
> being is also not correct.  After Sita's abduction, Rama was often
> depressed to the point of being suicidal.  He wept deeply at the
> loss of his love, and displayed emotions that any normal, righteous
> human would.

> Mani
Namaskaram
	I am not so as to comment on this issues but these are some of
my owm opinions on which all are welcome to comment.
Regarding ramayana I am of strong belief that the behaviour of Rama as a
human being casts a doubt about his divinity.
But In his talks Ramana Maharshi says that the actions of person who has
realised his self may seem ordinary but he beyond them.  As with respect
to Rama's behaviour as common man, he has acted as human do in such
conditions.  As respect to his treatment towards Mother Sita, I feel that
we cannot comdemn it without the complete knowledge and understanding of
the scriptures.  I think it is also valid to raise the question that is
it correct for draupadi to marry five brothers? This questionable in our
society where the wife of brother is equivalent to a Mother.
But this doubt can be clarified by a person who is well versed in the
scriptures.  I had this question cleared from a great learned pundit who
answered this question on a Telivision interview.

with love
shashi
Shashikanth Hosur                                Email:shashi@kbsdec2.tamu.edu
Dept Of Industrial Engg                                shashi@kbssun1.tamu.edu
Texas A&M University                                   shashikanth@tamu.edu

Home:(409) 691 8644
Fax: (409) 846 5468
office :(409) 845 0441
		                  !OM!
Your right is to work only, but never to the fruit thereof, nor let your
attachment be to inaction.

					- BhagavatGita 2:47

Love All and Serve All
                        --- Bhagwan Sri Sathya Sai Baba