Fwd: Re: Response to Mrs. Anonymous's question

From the Bhakti List Archives

• January 16, 1996

---------------------
Forwarded message:
From:	RANGASWAMY@plh.af.mil
To:	Tatachar@aol.com
Date: 96-01-16 09:37:35 EST

Dear Sreekrishna,

I would like to add to your list of unexplainable actions in the
Ramayana.

(1) The maiming of Shoorpanaka (It was the rule in those days that
    a woman approaching a man in love should not be spurned, much less
    maimed.).

Also, I beg to disagree with another aspect of your post: "Rama tested
Sita's chastity for himself". This seems to imply that Rama doubted
Sita's chastity while she was in Ravana's Ashoka Vanam. I don't think the
Lord
ever doubted Sita's single minded devotion and dedication to him.
Testimony in support of this fact can be obtained from the Lord's reaction
upon hearing Anjaneya's narration after returning from Lanka.

It was only to establish to the rest of the world that Sita had not been
tainted even though she spent several years in Ravana's Ashoka Vanam that
Rama required her to go through the Agni-Pariksha.
This was also done with the view that no stigma should be attached either
to him (the Lord) or to the Raghu dynasty.

Best Wishes,

Muralidhar Rangaswamy