Administration 01-03.

From the Bhakti List Archives

• January 30, 2003

As the temporary Moderator of the group, I would like to share some
thoughts.  I think there is nothing wrong in asking questions such
as "why rAma kiiled vAli", "Is He justfied in killing vAli from
behind a tree", "why rAma killed mArIca", "is it okay to skin
mArIca", "was rAma justified in just killing something to please His
wife", etc. etc.  I generally notice that these kinds of questions
also get a lot of responses, even though as the posting below
indicates, not much that is authoritative (by this I mean what our
AcArya-s say about these things) comes out of these postings.

It will help if those who have access to some of our AcArya-s, to get
clarifications of some of these questions, or to quote some
upanyAsaka's views, or something that is authoritative, as they
respond to the questions such as the above.  SrI Harikrishnan's
series a couple of months back on vAli vadam was one of those
literary contributions that was based on the well-reserached analysis
on kamban and vAlmIki.  It will be nice if those who want to send
some authoritative work, such as some authentic vyAkhyAnam, some
authentic AcArya's words, etc., before responding.  If responses are
sent out just based on whatever we feel in our head, then we get lot
of responses, without any conclusion.  This might be one reason why
the situation referred to by the author of the note below arises.

I also cannot but help feel that the itihAsa-s such as rAmAyaNa have
a lot more important things that they communicate to us, such as how
an ideal son should be, how an ideal brother should be, how an ideal
wife should be, how an ideal king should be, etc.  I generally notice
that not much interest seems to be expressed in starting discussion
on what I would think are the more important aspects of these itihAsa-
s.   I cerntainly do not want to squelch discussion, and so let the
discussion continue.

In order to improve the overall quality of the questions as well as
the responses, I would like to propose that those that post questions
first search through the bhakti list archives, and find out if some
of the questions that they have, have already been answered or at
least discussed before.  The web is another source that people can
use to research some of the issues, even though I am aware that we
don't get responses to every issue that we want to investigate.  I
personally do not have the time to look up the archives for every
issue, and do not have the time to research issues through the web
either, and provide meaningful responses based on proper pramANa-s
etc.  So I request that those who raise the issues do some initial
research and share whatever they find that is authoritative, and
those that respond spend some time so that their responses are
cumultative in contrributing to properly answer the issue that is
raised.  I think this process can raise the level of the postings for
the benefit of all in the long run.  I hope this suggestion is taken
in the right spirit.

-Moderator.