Re: Doubts reg: Vali Vadham

From the Bhakti List Archives

• January 29, 2003

 Dear Lakshminarasimhan,
I Intend to have a logical approach towards anything and gave the supporting slokams from Valmiki Ramayanam. Please refer the Literature or atleast check with a learned person before replying fast. For your recent response too, kindly refer Aranya kandam Sargam 44 Slokam 29 where Valmiki says that Rama removed the skin after killing maricha and returned to janasthana.

Regards,

Nanmaaran
 "Lakshmi Narasimhan "  wrote:Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha

Dear Swamin,
"if you cant somehow get it alive, atleast get the skin which will be
liked by me" was a statement that was made to show/highlight the
beauty of the deer. Every statement should not be interpreted
literally. Some people say, even if you mortgage your head you should
get this done. Can this be done? And, if we make it look like, the
udharana-purusha like Sri Rama, kills an innocent deer just for his
wife's pleasure what would everyone think of? Even if Rama really
killed that deer and the deer was not an asura, can we think he would
have skinned it? On one side we praise Rama for giving saranagathi
even to the worst enemy Ravana who grabbed his wife and on the other
side do we need to insult his Pourusham by just saying that he killed
the deer for his wife? And can we think that Rama(the master of the
asthras) did not know an asthra by which he could have made the deer
faint? What I have heard from elders is that, Rama knew it was a
false deer. He ran behind it to make Sita happy and after Sita was
out of the vicinity(because he cannot kill anyone in her presence due
to her karunyam, example - kara-dhooshana samharam - sita was sent
inside the house by rama) he killed the deer and the asura in that
deer form shouted in Rama's voice and confirmed that he was a false
deer. Please do not think I am trying to blame. But, we must really
try to get the actual understanding from our elders and not by just
reading books. That was the reason why Shri Ramanujar used a
word "Tanmathaanusaarena" instead of "Tadaanusaarena". If you think I
am really wrong in what I am saying, kindly forgive me and I won't
comment on your statements any further. It is only out of interest
and concern I am writing this mail and not because I want to blame
you.

If you think I am wrong, kindly mail me back. My humble apologies in
case, even by smallest means, I have hurt you.

Please do mail me back to this ID. Please do not post this message in
the group.

Yatheendra Pravanam Vandhe RAMYA Jaamaataram Munim

Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan,
Lakshmi Narasimhan

--- In bhakti-list@yahoogroups.com, Nanmaaran wrote:
> Dear Swati,
> Note that there was a plan set by ravana to send Maricha as a
Golden Deer to attract Seetha.
> In Aranya kandam Sargam 36 Slokam 17.
> Ravana says to maricha that "you go as a Golden Deer with silver
dots on your skin and roam in front of rama's ashram in the vicinity
of Seetha". Same is repeated by ravana again in Sargam 40 Sloka 17.
> In Aranya Kandam Sargam 43 Sloka 4
> Lakshmana says to Rama that " i suspect this golden deer to be that
maricha "(whose life was spared earlier).
> Keeping this in mind, let us see your question.(why did he kill
deer when seetha asked only to catch it alive and wanted as a pet).