Re: Fwd: KAtakam & Projects for the year 2003

From the Bhakti List Archives

• January 10, 2003

At 10:27 AM 1/9/03 +0530, you wrote:

>PranAms to all bhaktAs.

>Recently I purchased Audio CDs ( Twin CD pack ) titled KAtakam, a vedic
recitation, from Andavan Ashram, Sripuram,  Bangalore, rendered by Sh
Rajagopalan & party.  But due to lack of sanskrit knowledge,  I coult not
understand the actual meaning  of the content.  I was told hearing of
KAtakam on dwAdasi (especially on Kaisika dwAdasi )  day equals KOti gAyatri
japam on a single day itself. The CD quality is excellent and  fortunately I
could hear it on  Kaisika DwAdasi day.

>Can members throw more light on KAtakam, its significance and meaning.
>
>Adiyen
>
>Balaji K

Dear SrIman Balaji:

Thanks for the Information .It is good to know that KAThakam
has been recorded by SrImath Andavan Asramam at Bangalore
and is available to us all .

KAThakam is known as AruNa KAThakam and is indeed recited in
Ahobila Matam and elsewhere . If some one can get me a copy of
these tapes from India , when they return from their visit to
India , adiyEn can try to assemble the meanings of this important
Vedic texts .

AsvamEdham and Achidram are indeed recited on EkAdasi days
at AhObila Matam and elsewhere and it takes little more than
twice the time to recite compared to KAThakam recitation.
AdiyEn will also try to give the gist of these two sacred
Texts in consultation with Vedic scholars .

If our MadhvA friends can tell us whether the Rg Vedic
recitation is done on EkAdasi and DwAdasi days at
Uduppi SrI KrishNan sannidhi , it will be very valuable.

Similarly , the news from Thiruppatthi residents on
the recitations on AtharvaNa Vedam Purusha Sooktham
will be welcome . You might recall that in the west
PrAkAram, there are recitations by students of the four
Vedams at Thiruppathi PerumAL Koil .

In this year of 2003 , there would be number of Vedam  related
projects underway to expand the Educational material on
Source texts in Sanskrit and Tamil Vedams. One of the projects
would be to record Purusha Sooktham as housed in the four
VedAs. The other is to have selected recitation of Saama
Vedic passages . If we can succeed in getting help from
GanapAThis ,we would also like to capture the Ganam way of
rendering and other variations like Reka , JaDai et al.

All of these efforts will be additions to the monographs
on Upanishads by Dr.N.S.AnantharangAcchAr Swamy following
the VisishtAdhvaidhic intrepretation by SrI RangarAmAnuja
Muni of the 16th century . By copy of this note , adiyEn is also
requesting Dr.AnantharangAcchAr  Swamy to bless us with
essays on the essence of KAThakam , AsvamEdham and Achidram
as a  aprt of these efforts to advance the eternal Vedic
message .

The MadhurAnthakam Schools have Vedic experts and it will
be wonderful to involve the teachers and the students in
this engagement .MadhurAnthakam being the Dhvayam ViLaintha
Thiruppathi can not but be the best choice as focus for
such a project .adiyEn request the Honorary Secretary
of the MadhurAnthakam schools to comment on the possibily
of such help.

We will also look for expertise from SrIrangam , Thirumalai,
KumbakONam RaajA PaatasAlai ( for Rg Vedam ) , Kaanchi
PaatasAlai(SrIman SaThakOpa TatachAr ) and elsewhere
for authentic renditions and explanatory notes to be translated
into English .

AtharvaNa ,KrishNa and Sukla Yajur Veda , Rg Veda and Saama
Veda smhithAs in their full form have been recorded by the Delhi Vedic
Trust earlier under the able leadership of SrIman A. KrishNan of
SrIrangam. Our effort will confine itself to specifics pasages
from Samhithais and Saakais to have these powerful Veda
manthrams ( Pancha Sookthams , Achidram, AswamEdham and
KADakam )reverberate and resonate in the homes of all
VedAbhimAnis with serious interest in Vedams , Upanishads
and dhivya prabhandhams (AzhwAr CD ROM projects --Audio
and Multimedia).

It will take time , effort , and funds from a team of
aasthikAs to realize these projects and adiyEn looks
forward to working with all interested resource people
from India and overseas to advance the goals of these
interrelated projects .

By the way , SrIman Balaji referred to the recitation of
KAThakam as being equivalent to Koti Gayathri Japam.
adiyEn will also share some thoughts on the power of
Gaayathri Manthram and thrikAla sandhyAvandanam later.

Those of you who are interested in working with adiyEn
on these projects are requested to send me a private note .

Please also free to share any information that you
deem appropriate for dissemination in the list(s)
based on your judgement .

There is indeed a lot of work to be done as Makara SankarAnthi
approaches . Completion of the RathnAngi Kaimkaryam for
Lord DevanAtha PerumAL of ThiruvahIndhrapuram during
this year's PurattAsi SravaNam , ThuUppul NithyArAdhana Kaimkaryam ,
Digitalization of the 60 year issues of Nrusimha PriyA ,
support for the MadhurAnthakam schools will  be focus items
this year.

As an auspicious request at the feet of ThiruvEngadamudayAN /
ThiruviNNagarappan ,SrI Haresh Balasubramanyan of Singapore
and adiyEn in close consultation with Dr. Mutthu Bhattar
--the expert in VaikAnasa Aagamam and Professor of Sanskrit
at my alma mater,VivEkAnandha College of Mylapore-- will release
the Updated version of SrInivAsa Vaibhavam home pages
containing new materials on Makara SankarAnthi day.

Finally, on the same day , a new site (Home pages) will
be created for recording the songs that sparkle with Raama
Bhakthi of Saint ThyagarAja , the krithis of Saint  AnnamayyA
brimming with the bard's bhakthi for Lord VenkatEsa . adiyEn
will assemble few audio  tapes housing the renditions of these
songs by the doyens of Carnatic Music going back to the past
fifty years .Plans are underway to conduct the second Jayanthi
Uthsavam for Saint AnnamayyA at SrI RanganAtha Temple
at Pomona , NY with the help of SrI Malolan Cadambi
during May  2003.

adiyEn's prayers to the Divine Couple and asmath AchAryan
are to keep these sathsangams together and grow the Kaimkarya
SrI of all participants.

NamO Veda PurushAya ,
V.Sadagopan/Oppiliappan Koil SaThakOpan