Re: Is Sri Krisna moral?

From the Bhakti List Archives

• January 26, 2002

I do not wish to get into a thread like the previous ones, but I
strongly feel some fundamental knowledge about comparision is needed
when comparing religions.

First, The West has a very different view of Reality than the East.
A Simple Crash Course in Sociology will prove this point which by
itself is a proof.

To cite an example, the advaithic concepts of drshti-shristi vaada,
shristhi-dristhi vaada are non-existent in any of the religions of
the religiously sactioned ethics of the abrahamic faiths.

Further more, the BBC Guide to World Religions writes:

"There are many misconceptions about Hinduism which are the result
of Westerners trying to force it to fit their ideas of what a
religion should be like, and trying to push a lot of different but
related faiths into a single box."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/people/features/world_religions/hin
duism_elem.shtml

The material on Hinduism presented by western scholars, philologists
or even theologians STEMS from the fact that Hinduism cannot be
compared to any of the abrahamic faiths of the middle east.

To compound to this fact, Fritjof Capra who authored the Famous
Book "The Tao of Physics" argues that the western scholars have
profoundly mis-understood the core-aspects of Hindu Ethics or
cosmology and metaphysics.

Dharma or Morality is by classified into two broad Categories
of "SamAnya Dharma" (Common Morals) and "VishEsha Dharma" (Special
Morals). To answer your question of Morality of Krishna or Arjuna is
not simple per se. This is because Morality by itself as defined by
Hinduism is very different from that explained by Thomas Merton or
any other western scholar.

Krishna, the 9th AvatAra of Sriman Naarayana who is lovingly called
GiitAcharya condensed the vast Dharma of the Shruthis into a
colloquy to Arjuna.SMS Chari in one of his telephone lectures has
empahsised the fact that the Bhagavad Giita cannot be *fully*
accepted as a "system of ethics". The Giita which is a part of the
prasthAna traya or triple canon is more of a philosophical text than
an ethical text. For ethical texts, the Dharma Sastras suit more to
the point. This does not however mean that the prasthana traya can
be plainly ignored as to not having an inherent system of ethics.
The Prasthana traya serve as a fountain head and a primary source of
inspiration for other hindu texts which are only derivative of the
triple canon and whose authority cannot supersede that of the triple
canon.

The very question of Krishna being immoral than arjuna presupposes
the fact that the "western scholars" look at hinduism from a
Christian prepective, which is plainly irrelevant or not required.

To sum, there is a saying in Sanskrit which goes "DharmO Rakshati
Rakshitaha" which translates to "Protect Dharma and Dharma will
protect you".

To get a basic understanding of how hinduism by itself places the
Mahabharata and the Ramayana, please read C. Rajagopalachari's books.
This will help quench most of your queries.

Regards,

Malolan Cadambi