Re: regarding casteism

From the Bhakti List Archives

• January 20, 2002

please refer to the rig-veda 10.90.1-16 (purusha). more specifically
(i quote from ralph griffith's translation) verses 11-14 -

--->
11 When they divided Purusa how many portions did they make?
What do they call his mouth, his arms? What do they call his thighs
and feet?
12 The Brahman was his mouth, of both his arms was the Rajanya made.
His thighs became the Vaisya, from his feet the Sudra was produced.
13 The Moon was gendered from his mind, and from his eye the Sun had
birth; Indra and Agni from his mouth were born, and Vayu from his
breath.
14 Forth from his navel came mid-air the sky was fashioned from his
head Earth from his feet, and from his car the regions. Thus they
formed the worlds.
<---

("rajanya" is the original name given to the race of kshatriyas.)

thus, according to the most ancient hindu text, it is evident that
there is absolutely *no* mention of the superiority or inferiority of
the various varnas and so there can be no possibility of
discrimination. if one says that being created from the feet of the
lord reeks of inferiority, then i'm afraid it is the divinity of the
lord that is being questioned. if there is casteism, it is due to
human foibles. i hope the discussion ends here.

regards,
prabhu.

--- In bhakti-list@y..., "Sriram Ranganathan"  wrote:
> Dear bhAgavatAs,
>
> With all due respects, I would like to add a few words in spite of
my
> extremely limited experience / knowledge.
>
> First, the use of adjectives "high" and "low" to qualitatively
distinguish
> one's caste or varnA is a human proclivity than bhagavAn's will.
Regardless
> of the varnA, there is no "high" and "low" per se when it comes to
one's
> occupation. The concept of "high" and "low" is just our skewed
perception.
> Fallible as we are, we (conveniently) characterize a priest "high"
and a
> janitor "low" - by vocation and therefore their nature. What is to
be
> understood is that, though one is advised to take-up a duty based
on one's
> caste/disposition, there is absolutely no doubt as to if at all it
is
> possible to change that "disposition by birth" through conduct.
Whichever