Re: [Yadavaprakasha: A Brief Biography]

From the Bhakti List Archives

• January 11, 2001

Dear SrI Vishal Agarwal,

You wrote:
>The traditional biographies of Sri Ramanujacarya paint him
>in very dark colors.

May I request you to kindly explain the above statement? Please.

You wrote:
>When the teacher asked the cause of tears, Sri Ramanuja
>replied that he was pained at such a frivolous interpretation
>of the Holy Scriptures, and proposed a new etymological
>interpretation ('the Lord whose eyes are red like a lotus
>blossomed by the Sun').

Your translation ('the Lord whose eyes are...by the Sun') looks
partially completed; Whether the explanation of SrI Bhagavath rAmAnuja is
termed as "new" or "old - already existing and accepted by vaidikas", I
would like to say that SrI Bhagavath rAmAnuja's interpretation
cannot be taken in literal sense "new"; but it could mean only
that he ascertained the Sruthi's real purport after rejecting
apArthams strongly. It has to be noted that puNdareekAksha: (Brahman)
is clearly celebrated in Sruthi and Smruthis even before
Bhagavath rAmAnuja's period; These references are in perfect
match with the interpretation of SrI BhAshyakAra swAmi SrI Bhagavath rAmAnuja
only.

Regarding the general concept of "new" and "old" with respect to
VisishtAdvaita, YatirAja sapthathi may be reffered. Here, this
Sruthi alone is not the subject of discussion.

Thanks & Regards
M.S.HARI rAmAnuja dAsan (mshari@usa.net)