Re: Jeeyars

From the Bhakti List Archives

• January 9, 2001

Thiruvengada jeeyar Thiruvadigale Saranam.

Sri rukmiNI samEta pArthasArathi parabrahmaNE namah.

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001 17:22:49 +0530 zz_nrsalarycell wrote:

>					  Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha :
>					      Sri Venkata Guravaha Namaha :
>

>	  1.	  Who are Jeeyars ?  what are their duties.  How many
> Jeeyar
> Matams are now. and where are they.

Dear Sriman Narayanan,

namo narayana.

The author of Thirumalai OLugu says that Jeeyar is a pUjyatA vAchaka Sabdam
like swAmI, to revere a Parama BhAgavatOttama. Nowadays this term is used
mostly for those in sannyAsASramam only.

The author of Thirumalai oLugu quotes from Sri maNavALamAmunigal's SrIvachana
bhUshaNa vyAkhyAnam that this term was used in respect of mAranEri nambi by
Periya nambi in latter's aruLiccheyal's to udaiyavar.

jeeyars have their own code of conduct prescribed in yati dharma samucchaya
wirtten by gOvinda Jeeyar (yAdava prakASa), as adiyen learnt from Sriman
Anantha padmanAbha swAmI.

>	  2.	  Who started this system.

I think it is emberumAnAr.

>	  3.	  Are Jeeyars some among the 74 Peetadipathis Sri Ramanujar
> appointed.

Since thirupathi matam and Sriranga narayana Jeear matam are started by
emberumanar himself, I guess the first heads of these two matams are among
the 74.

>	  4.	  In what way are they different / special from our
> Acharyas

By Acharyas, you must have meant to gruhastha AchAryas. most of the Jeeyars
are also Acharyas with a larger following, as Sriman Mohan Sagar has written.
nobody wears
kAshAyam and does samASrayaNam without AchArya niyamanam. so all Jeeyars are
ultimately connected to emberumAnAr thru one of the 74 simhAsanAdhipatis.

In thirupathi, Jeears are given thIrtham prior to sthAnAchAryas.

Additional Info:

1.Thirupathi periya jeeyar matam was established by emberumAnAr and then
ascended by manavALa mAmunigaL. mamunigal was succeeded by by his disciple
Thiruvengada Jeeyar.

2. Both emberumanar and Manavala mamunigal are jeeyars.

3. Like Alwar which refers to Nammalwar in particular and desikar which means
Acharya refers to Vedanta Desikar, the term Jeeyar primarily refers to
ManavALa mAmunigaL.

4. Out of the eight principle disciples of Manavala Mamunigal (ashta
diggajas), three are jeeyars. They are: Vanamamalai jeeyar, Thiruvengada
Jeeyar and Paravastu Bhattar pirAn Jeeyar.

5. Thirupathi Chinna Jeeyar matam is not totaly independent from thirupathi
Pedda Jeeyar matam. Chinna Jeeyar matam, established by Manavala Mamunigal is
known as varavaramuni pItam while Pedda jeeyar matam is known as Ramanuja
pItam. Chinna Jeeyar becomes Pedda Jeeyar when latter ascends the throne of
moksha sAmrAjyam.

The author of Thirumalai oLugu refers to Chinna Jeeyar as yuvarAja i.e.  heir
to the throne of Thirupathi matam.

Alwar Emberumanar jeeyar thiruvadigale Saranam
dAsAnudAsan
Vishnu

http://www.iitian.com : An Extraordinary place for Extraordinary people