Re: "pancha-sayanattin mEe-Eri"

From the Bhakti List Archives

• January 4, 2000

Dear Sri Sampathkumar:

I am surprised that your perusal of vyAkhyAnams and commentaries of
pundits and Acharyas (that you constantly reference) did not unearth
the reasoning for the application of 'methenra'.  In fact, swami
periyavAchchAn piLLai, whose vyAkhyAnam you detailed in a rather
colorful manner yesterday, does mention the application of
reinforced mardavatvam in kuthuviLakkeriya.. vyAkhyAnam.

In the swApadeShartham (the inner meaning) provided by Suddhasatvam
doDDAchAr (of the suthaprakAshika fame) about panchasayanathin
refering to artha panchaka gnyAnam, there is a preceding reference
to "methenra" as follows:

sEshatvAdi kartrutvarAhityathAlE mrudhuvAna
arthapanchakagnyAnam -
shuddha sattva mayama irukkaradhu

meaning, the reinforced mardavatvam refers to - the recognition of
ananyArha sEshatvam, ananya sharaNatvam et al, as well as avoidance
of kartrutva buddhi - as qualities that provide the underpinning for
arthapanchaka gnyAnam -  these qualities that provide the additional
pakkvam (softness, if you will) to lead to a state of essential
sattvam - hence methenra pancha sayanam.

> Sri Sampathkumar wrote:

> But adiyen would venture to speculate that Andal felt
> the need to introduce a redundant adjective like
> "metthenra" because perhaps even in those days
> mattresses came in different grades of quality! In the
> present day, for example, you may be familiar with
> housewives exclaiming "thickku "pAl"'...

As a passing thought, I do not believe that there are any words in
tiruppavai that can be termed as 'redundant'.  And poorvacharya
vyAkhyAnams provide comprehensive and complete explanations for every
phrase, every syllable, every sound, every suggestion, every unsaid
response (such as those inpasurams 6-15).   There are no
contradictions that are retracted later on, for this is not
commonplace poetry generated by fertile minds of the hoi-polloi.

There is hardly a need for us to exercise our limited (I speak for
yours truly and others of my ilk here) capabilities to come up with
'speculative'  and often questionable interpretations.  We just have
to make the effort to seek guidance from the wealth of material that
is already available.  And our Acharya paramparai is kindness
epitomized - as AnDAL celebrates in 'ninaithu mulai vazhiyE ninRu pAl
sOra' and "mARRadhE pAl soriyum vALLal perum pasukkaL' - they have
given us all that we need and more.  We just have to make the effort
to not turn away from their grace.

Azhwaar Emberumaanaar Jeeyar AnDAL thiruvaDigaLE sharaNam

sridhar