Re: AargyaPradhana Manthram

From the Bhakti List Archives

• February 10, 1998

At 10:12 AM 2/10/98 -0800, RaghuVeeran S wrote:

>Srimate Sri Lakshmi Nrisimha Parabrahmane Nama:
>
>Sri Lakshminrisimha Divyapadhukasevaka Srivan Satakopa Sri Narayana
>Yatheendhra Mahadesikaya Nama:
>
>Adiyen have a doubt regarding AargyaPradhana Manthram.
>Please correct me if I am wrong in my understanding.
>
>As per my little knowledge,AargyaPradhana Manthram affects Rahu who
>tries to affect Sun during sun rise and sun set.We do Kala athitha
>Prayaschitham if we are unable do at the exact time.
>
>My doubt is in various countries sun rise and sun set times vary.
>Sunrise
>India(00:30 GMT)
>UK(06:00 GMT an average of summer and winter sunrise times)
>USA(11:00 GMT) etc...
>
>>From this I feel that sunrise will be there at any time in one place
>of the earth.So all the 24 hours sunrise is there w.r.t. various places.
>
>So does it mean that Rahu is trying to affect Sun all 24 hours.Why are
>we doing kala athitha Prayachitham?
>
>I fully believe our vedas and Santhyavandhanam and I do
>Sandhyavandhanam regularly.But I got a little doubt.Definitle there
>will be a very good answer but I am ignorant of that.Please enlighten
>me on this point.
>

>Adiyen
>Bahavatha Dasan
>

>===
>Cheers
>Raghu
>Tel :	00-44-141-5532197 (Work);00-44-141-4332541 (Home)
>email:	sraghu@rocketmail.com,sraghu@gssec.bt.co.uk
>	sraghu@hotmail.com
>http://members.tripod.com/~s_raghu/index.html

I am pleased to hear such questions since some srivaishnavas I know do not
do Sandhyavandanam at all!.

There is a mantra (uttered during shraddha rites - rakshogna mantra - ).
This explains the issues.  The meaning of the mantra needs to be understood
correctly since Vedas many a time use figurative language.  Proper bhasyas
are needed to understand them correctly.

meaning as I understand:

Surya is a kinkara of Lord and when Vedas say that Rahu affects Sun or
Rakshasas  affect Sun,  all it means that Rakshasas or Rahu which is a
negative force will affect the position of Sun who in turn affects our
minds and makes us do sins.  To obviate those sins, we need to daily rites
such as Sandhyavandanam. Sandhyavandanam basically gives purity to our
minds and directs us to think about God and progress spiritually. It is a
vihita karma, so it has to be done without expecting any fruit whatsoever.
If not done, it results in sin (pratyavaya dosa).  It does not make any
difference geographically where one is , as long as one does Sandhyavandana
even while on a plane at appropriate times.  the bottom-line is Surya being
affected basically affects us in giving us Gunas of different kinds.  For
example Tamoguna increases in the night to most beings and hence they go to
sleep.  This guna is brought about by the Sun's position.  Similarly people
say that they are fresh in the morning indicating the increase of satvaguna.

Whatever may be the story or arthavada given in the Vedas, the idea is that
Sandhyavandana purifies the mind.  Even a non-religous meditation or
breathing excercise done daily helps out to clear the mind.  But since we
are under the jurisdiction of sastraic do's and dont's we do even
Sandhyavandana only to please Lord Srimannarayana without asking for
anything.  All other effects of sandhyavandana are only side effects which
are also good.

I am writing this without refering to any material. If I do some research
on this some more information may pop up

Adiyen Krishna Kalale>