Re: Desikar temple theft

From the Bhakti List Archives

• February 11, 1997

>Ramesh Sarangapani writes:

>From the Hindu (Feb. 8)

>It was stated that Sathyamurthy had lost faith in Lord Shiva as his drama
>troupe did not take off; he then became an ardent devotee of Lord Vishnu.
>He had even decorated some of the stolen jewels on the Perumal idol in his
>house. He has named his two sons as Parthasarathy and Vishnuvaradan.

I am reminded of the unique life of our own Thirumangai Azhwar when I read
these words. In Srivachana Bhushana, Pillai Lokacharya elucidates on how the
Lord, out of his nirhetuka katAksa, uses even the slightest hint of good on
the part of an individual as an excuse to bestow His Salvific Grace.  Mr.
Satyamurthy's choosing of Perumal over Siva, and his adorning his Deity with
the stolen jewels suggests to me that the Lord is very much a part of his
life.  Humanity may have its sense of justice and moral order, but the Lord
has His own plans.

I am interested in knowing more about the Mylapore Srinivasar Koil.  I have
visited several temples in Chennai, but have not had the opportunity to
visit this one. I first heard about it from one of my office's former
computer consultants, who participates in the Veda Goshti there.  How did it
come to be known as "Desikar Temple?"

Daasanu Daasan,

Mohan