You are here: Sri Vaishnava Home Page : Bhakti List : Archives : February 1996

(no subject)

From: KUMBAKONAM GOPALAN RAMESH (eng20413_at_leonis.nus.sg)
Date: Thu Feb 29 1996 - 02:15:24 PST

Hello everyone,

My name is Ramesh. I am 25 years old and am doing my final year in chemical
engineering at the National University of Singapore. I am Iyengar and belong
to Uruppatur Nallan Chakravarty gothram. Many a times I wanted to know about the significance of gothram in our Iyengar tradition. I have this question:
Has gothram anything to do with ancestry? Unfortunately, our ancestors didn't keep either diaries or family trees which can help trace family lines. I happen to know that the great man Rajagopalachari or known to everyone as Rajaji belong t
o the same gothram as me! Does anybody know more about the gothram? Maany thanks!

K.G.Ramesh
Eng20413@leonis.nus.sg