Soul after death and before next birth

From the Bhakti List Archives

• February 20, 2003

Humble pranams to all,

I would like to putforth my observations on the rituals being
practised when one passess away. here, i wish to state that i have no
idea as to the inner meanings of Vedas. but here i am just quoting my
exclusive observations on the mantras chanted at the time of rituals..

in the initial step, the body is cleaned with water. it is agreeable
that this universe is running with only five elements i.e. pancha
bhootas. so, by chanting such mantra they may be indirectly offering
the body back to pancha bhootas. i.e. by cleaning the body, they are
offering to water, etc.,

further, by chanting such mantras they are thanking Narayana, the
Ultimate on behalf of the dead one, for giving the beautiful and
wonderful body to "fulfill the duties" for which it has been given to
one.

in general, one can understand the attachment one develops with the
Body in this materialistic world.  So, it is reiteration of the
thought that this body is nothing and by mantras they are reminding
the soul that all the attachment is "moha" and that body does not
remain now.   It is good for any soul to leave attachment with the
body. but for materialistic persons it is very difficult..so they
pour water again and again on the body to remind the soul that this
is no way further connected to body and it has to do onward journey.
this may be the reason that when one dies, even elders also come
forward and puts namaskarams.  finally when the body is offered to
fire, this may be the initiation to training up the soul that the
body is no more..

when we observe that saintly person's body will not be offerred to
fire because they do not develop any attachment with the body... so
there is no harm.. they know the purpose for what they have come into
world and with the same ease, they leave the body with ease...
without any struggle...

but, whatever we may discuss here.. it only rely on the "Faith" as
one cannot experience what really happens after death... he may be
experiencing but he will not have body to express... but when the
soul remembers what happens and takes place in garbham, and takes
birth, it forget what hapened to soul after death....

it is said that when a soul has to stay in the stomach between
variuos smells of mala mootras, it will promise God again and again
that it will fulfill all the duties for which it is being sent... it
cries by putting hands on head for the suffering it goes inside the
womb... but when it lands in this earth, it tends to forget
everything...

when comes to the transition period of after and before... this may
be depended on the karma that what has performed during the life...
this may be like a pass book where any good action done is credited
and any bad action will be debited...

God sends a soul to live for a life period of 60 yeras for example...
and in between he suicides at the age of 30 years... that soul has to
remain as Ghost for next 30 years and this soul gets new body only
after completion of 60 years..

but i have a question within this self why :-  Why this 11 days
restriction was put both at the time of death and also when a New
child is born in the family.

I feel there must be definitely a strong reason....

Any errors in my understanding may please be corrected.

Namaskarams to all

--- In bhakti-list@yahoogroups.com, trilok banshal