Re: Being 'aiyanGAr'.

From the Bhakti List Archives

• February 24, 2002

Dear Sri Sundara Rajan,

Thanks for a nice mail on the roots of Aiyangar. Being
a Srivaishnavaite, I am happy to understand these
basics.

The word 'aiya-garu' has been used very frequently to
refer to revered Srivaishnavaite priests in A.P. by
many Srivaishnavaite heads and I picked it up from
there. There is no doubt about the usage and I am not
sure, nor competent as far as the grammatical part of
it goes nor would like to stretch it as it appears dry
for me.

Some corrections, if there was a mis-interpretation of
my mail. In my mail I had written that, "I FEEL" and
it clearly tells that I was not sure while comparing
it. But as far as the word 'aiyya-garu' goes, it is
definitely used in conversation. ( Don't know which
books to refer to for proof ).

Jai Sriman Narayana

Regards
Maruthi Ramanuja Das.