Re: Digest Number 532

From the Bhakti List Archives

• February 18, 2002

Dear Sri Ramanuja,

You are correct that "ai" or "i" in Tamil and other
south indian languages represents five in one sense.
However, the concern you raise about "ay" etc. is
is an issue of transliteration. Ultimately one
expects that they all mean the same thing no matter
how spelled. Since we don't seem to know for sure
what the origin of the word is, one can only
speculate based on the word. In that sense all
interpretations have to remain on equal footing;
one does not become a larger fancy of the
imagination than the other.

In addition, I don't see the necessity to equate
it with the term Iyer, though it might seem
necessary to do so because of the brahminical
order in Tamilnadu.

Speculating freely then, one can break up the
word in Tamil as i + angam + ar (those with the
five parts) and hence the relation to the
panchasamskaram. Speculating even further, one
can even think of it as iyan + kar(ar) - those
in the duty of the high one or the Lord. Perhaps
in the fashion of the sandhi rules in Sanskrit,
in combination this became iyengar. I do not
know of a Tamil word such as "gar" with some
meaning, so I am not sure how that would fit
with iyan.

Others have speculated that it could be the
Telugu word of respect "garu". Is the word
"iyan" one that stands for a noble person
in Telugu also? If it is, then that would also
make sense.

adiyEn madhurakavi dAsan
TCA Venkatesan

http://sports.yahoo.com