Re: vegetarianism??

From the Bhakti List Archives

• January 30, 2002

Dear Sandeep,

A non vegetarian may say that he hasn't killed
anything, but when he buys meat he is paying someone
else to kill for him, and both of them bring upon
themselves the reactions of karma.  In Padma Purana,
if I am not mistaken, the sin of killing an animal is
shared by 6 people ( person who give permission to
kill, the person who kills, the person who sells the
meat, the person who buys the meat, the person who
cooks the meat and the the person who eats it)

The most common objections non-vegetarians raise
against vegetarianism is the arguments that
vegetarians still have to kill plants, and that this
is also violence. Vegetarian foods such fruits and
many vegetables, nuts, grains, and milk do not require
killing. If a plant's life is taken, plants have a
less evolved consciousness than animals and the pain
involved is much less than when an animal is
slaughtered. Yes, vegetarians have to kill some
plants, and that is also violence, but we do have to
eat something, and  the Vedas say, jivo jivasya
jivanam: one living entity is food for another in the
struggle for existence. So the problem is not how to
avoid killing altogether but how to cause the least
suffering to other creatures while meeting the
nutritional needs of the body.

In Bhagavad Gita, Lord Krisna  says patram pushpam
palam toyam yo me prayachatiÂ…Â…Â…Â….If one offers me with
love a leaf, flower, fruit or even  water with
devotion , I will accept with joy. The lord also says
yad karosi, yad asnani, yat juhusi dadasi yat,
Â…Â…Â…Â…Â…Â…Â….  (check the Gita for correct spelling).
Whatever you do, whatever you eat, whatever you give
away in charity or whatever austerity that you do, do
it as an offering to me. So the message is to offer it
to the Lord and eat as prasadam.

Please click the following site for more information
about vegetarianism. Hope it helps.

http://www.webcom.com/~ara/col/books/VEG/ht/

Bala
Penang, Malaysia