Re: "mArgazhi" diary

From the Bhakti List Archives

• December 28, 1999

Dear Sri Sampathkumar:

I sense a certain resentment in your posting vis a vis my comments
about YOUR interpretations/reflections on tiruppavai.  My
'gratuitous' (and obviously unwelcome) comments seem to have
engendered significant felicity of expression on your kind part.  Let
me attempt to clarify a few things:

> Sri Sampathkumar wrote:
>
> Adiyen thanks Sri.T.A.Varadan and Sri.Sridhar for
> their comments and gratuitous advice.
>
> Adiyen recognizes a "gag-order" when he sees one and
> fully understands what is being meant.

I (and for that matter anybody else here, I suppose) have no desire
or qualification to impose a gag order on you or anybody else.  Your
viewpoints are as valid as anybody else'.  The aspect that I took
exception to stemmed from your efforts to somehow lend sampradayic
enjoinment to your reflections, as you clearly do here:

> Sri Sampathkumar wrote:
>
> But the chief purpose of life, according to Vedanta,
> is to understand and trancend the "purushArthA-s".
> Once we do attain an intuitive understanding of the
> principles of "aram", "porul", "inbam" and "mOksa" we
> are said to be on the certain road to Godhead.
>
> Andal's "tiruppAvai", scholars and "achAryA-s" remind
> us, actually teems with several scintillating
> references to this great Vedantic matrix of
> "purushArthA-s" described above.

A good friend of mine  was trying to
convince me the other day that thiruppavai was a derivative work of
the shaivite work thiruvambAvai.  Well, he has a right to hold that
view point.  However, he is not correct in telling me that our
AcharyAls (who are celebrated as "Eka kanThasthAL" - there is not a
situation where, down the lineage, would you find guru-shishya
grantha virOdham - Lakshminathan down to our current day acharyas)
provide 'scintillating' references to support his rather untenable
position.  Likewise, it behooves you to provide references from
Scholars and Acharyas (as Sri Mani had reminded you earlier) if you
are going to claim that your interpretations are supported by the
sampradAyam.

Also, when it comes to something as exalted as tiruppavai, there are
no higher or lower standards of interpretation.  There is just one
standard set forth by Emberumaanaar down to swami dEsikan and
maNavALa maamunigaL.  And it is a standard of uncompromising attitude
 towards the divine that we can all only enjoy by learning and
sharing.

> Adiyen is sorry to have "offended" you both Sir on the
> eve of the "new millennium". He shall offend you no
> further, most reverend Sirs,

I am not qualified enough  to take 'offense' at your words.  I would
just like to suggest that you should, may be, 'reflect' publicly once
you have had an opportunity to learn (preferably through an Acharya)
from the numerous vyAkhyAnams available on tiruppavai.   That way,
you will never be in a position to mis-interpret anything.

Please forgive me if my words have hurt your sensiblities.  The
intent was to clarify and not to hurt.

aDiyEn,

sridhar