Dilemma in listening to Carnatic music concerts

From the Bhakti List Archives

• December 13, 1998

Sri:

Dearest Sisters and Brothers,

It was a good one from Smt kalyani. She is doing a great kaimkaryam of
posting Naacchiyaar Thirumozhi. When I was reading this post of hers, it
remninded me of another dilemma which I get. I relish and greatly enjoy
all karnatic songs /music. I get into ecstasy (though I don't sing) when
listening to anubhavam filled songs.

A couple of months ago, when I was enjoying Sri TN Seshagopalan's
Concert here at Simhapuri, I could not sit for some songs at all, ecven
though the voice, the song, the divinity were all there with rich swara
prasthaapam, and Gamakams. But since those songs were on Subrahmanyam,
Vinayakam, Akilandeswari, and due to my (fortunate) invlolvement and
enjoyment of Paramikaanthins' posts in Bhakti group, I could no longet
take listening to such songs, especially from another Vaishnavan (TN
seshagopalan!).

I just walked out! (with a heavy heart- for walking out of such alovely
concert and also for having listened so far on such "demi God songs",
for almost an hour!).

I don't know if it is right. What do the learned singers (like Sri mani)
and connoiseurs (like Sri Sadagopan) feel? Have they come across such
dilemmas?

It is not my inetent to embarass them. They may choose to keep silent.
Sorry if I am crossing my limit.

Namo Narayana

Regards

narayana dAsan