Re: More on chanting of Prabandam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• December 7, 1998

Sri T.R. Govindarajan wrote:
> During Dhanur masam (Dec 16, 1998 to Jan 14, 1999), Thiruppalliyezhuchi and
> Thiruppavai are only chanted. (In Sattumurai, thiruppallandu is
> not recited; last two verses from Adaikkalapathu or Upadesa rathina mAlai can
> also be chanted). The tamil prabandams of Sri. Desikar and Sri. ManavALa
> MAmunugal can be still recited during this period.

I do not know much about the tradition of anadhayananm
(non-recitation of Divya Prabandham) period, other than what list
members have written and a few notes that I have read. With regard
to recitation of thiruppallaandu paasurams, however, my late
grandfather Sri T.S. Ahobalacharya, in his description of his
"ArAdhana-krama", has written that Sri Uttamur Viraraghavacharya
Swami maintained that there is nothing wrong in saying the the
first two thiruppallaandu paasurams even during anadhyayanam. My
grandfather added that this question needs to be further
clarified.

By the way, there are a few articles in the Archives about this
issue:

http://www.best.com/~mani/sv/bhakti/archives/nov97/0129.html
http://www.best.com/~mani/sv/bhakti/archives/nov97/0134.html
http://www.best.com/~mani/sv/bhakti/archives/nov97/0135.html
http://www.best.com/~mani/sv/bhakti/archives/nov97/0137.html

I look forward to reading more. I would also like an explanation
as to why this tradition of not reciting Prabandham during this
period originated.

Mani

---