On Coffee drinking

From the Bhakti List Archives

• December 2, 1998

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Sri. Mani Varadarajan wrote:

(...)

>I would like to know if any acharya has specifically commented on this
>issue.

The MahaSwami of Kanchi, HH Chandra Sekarendra Saraswati Swamiji had been
persuading spiritual aspirants not to take coffee from early 1950s itself.
HH had the following reasons for that [1]:

1. Addictive effect.

2. Unnecessary expenditure. This point has to be seen in the Indian
context. He wanted asthikas to give up coffee, silk and vara_dhakshanai
TOTALLY so that the need to earn unnecessarily more (by giving up the
traditional spiritual way of life) would not arise.

With regards,

Sudhakar

[1]. Deivathin Kural, Vol. I & III. ed. Ra. Ganapathy, Vanathi
Pathippagam, Chennai.