Re[2]: MURUGAN

From the Bhakti List Archives

• December 28, 1995

Subject: Re: MURUGAN
Author:  D2C30T8@CALVRTN4.BELL-ATL.COM at Internet-Mail
Date:    12/27/95 4:39 PM

     Sri Ramesh Srinivasaraghavan writes:

     "avaravar ...."

     I think it is one of the stanzas in the "mudal patthu" of
     tiruvaimozhi. I also remember that these ten verses were quite a
     tongue-twister. I am sure the learned scholars who write in this group
     will clarify this point better.

     I have also heard from learned scholars that worship of other Gods
     involve such rajasic (and even tamasic) rituals that, it would be
     shocking to most of us today.....
     Radhe Krishna ! Salutations to all !

     Sri Dileepan writes ...

     1. True, that stanza is from Thiruvaaimozhi. It goes:

        'avaravar thamathama tharivari vagaivagai,
         avaravar irayavar ena adi adaivargaL,
         avaravar irayavar kuraivilar irayavar,
         avaravar vidhivazhi adaya ninranarE'

        Simply put, Sri Nammaazhvaar shows his parama kaarunyam (tolerance)
     towards other forms of worship (not resorting to bigotry or passing
     derogatory comments), while still maintaining the greatness of Sri
     Vaishnavam. He says that people realize in their own ways and attain
     their own gods they worship, their gods not being in any way inferior,
     they attain salvation according to their destinies.

     >Thanks for pointing out that pasuram. You have very aptly shown the
     paramakaaruNyam of aazhwar and his tolerance.

     2. If the remark is regarding Lord Muruga's worship, I would like to
     place before you the actual thatthva behind ...

     >My mail was not really regarding worship of Lord Muruga.
     Maybe, my mail subject was misleading, but I was referring to the
     Srivaisnava-opinion towards worship of devathantharam, in general.
     When I read the reply to Raymond Crawford's query, I felt that the
     phrase _DO_NOT_WORSHIP_ were not strong enough. I therefore
     emphasized that reply, by replacing the above phrase by,
     _SHOULD_NOT_WORSHIP_. Ofcourse, I also went ahead and tried to
     substantiate the above, with my limited knowledge and understanding.

     [ ...  mythology deleted ...]

     > I think these Puranas are not considered as PramaaNa by the
     SriVaisnavaites.

     I entirely agree with the fact that Sri Vaishnavaites need not even
     have to know these myths, let alone subscribe to them or include Lord
     Murugan in their worship. Divya Dampathis are everything to Sri
     Vaishnavaas.

     >I just want to reiterate that I was not implying that worship of
     Murugan or some specific diety is Rajasic or Un-Sattvic. I was
     speaking more generally about the SriVaisnava-opinion towards
     devataantara worship.

     Sarvam Sri KrishnaarpaNamasthu.

     Dilipan

     adiyen Madurakavidasan,