(no subject)

From the Bhakti List Archives

• December 28, 1995

Subject: Re: Murugan and thirumangai aazhvaar

> thirumangai was born on karthikai month karthikai star and is "karthikEyan"
> Murugan is also "karthikEyan".
>
> thirumangai is "kaliyan", Murugan is "kali yuga varadhan".
>
> Both carry vEl. I suppose one can call thirumangai as "vElan."

> Could they have been the same person?

No. The reason why Thirumangai aazhvaar has a vEl is as follows:
After thirumangai aazhvaar became a Vaishnavite, he undertook a pilgrimage
of the divya desams. When he came back and went through his home town area,
all the people there paid great respect to him. A naayanmaar who was in
the town was amazed by this and he challenged aazhvaar to a debate and
aazhvaar won. The naayanmaar presented the aazhvaar with a vEl on this
occasion. That is why aazhvaar carries the vEL and is called kaliyan

Varadhan