Greatness of the Month of Marghazhi

From the Bhakti List Archives

• December 26, 1995

>From: "V. Sadagopan" <75041.3037@compuserve.com>
> Thirumangai hints at this Vedic essence
>of  Vedas and the relation between the Tamil Marai and Arya Vedam in
>his fourth verse of Thirunedumthantakam as follows:
>
>Senthiratta Tamizhosai VADA SOLLAAHI Disai Naangumaai-------
>
>The Lord Says : VEDAISCCHA SARVAI: AHAMEVA VEDYA: HERE HE
>REFERS TO HIS SVARUPA ,GUNA VISHESHAMS DESCRIBED IN
>the  VEDAS. The Azhwar says in his Thirunedumthantakam
>section quoted above that the deep meanings about the Anantha
>Kalyana Gunas of the Parama Purusha took the form of the Sanskritc
>Vedas and the Tamil Marai.
>
> He even pushes forward to say that the
>Tamizhosai ( the Ghosham of Tamil Marai) became Vada Soll. A little
>poetic liberty perhaps, but to Kaliyan, it indicates the equal status of
>the Sanskrit and Tamil Marais in the eyes of the Supreme Lord.

Here should we take the "senthiratta thamizhOsai" as "thamizh maRai"
and "vada chol" as the "Vedas"? I find it hard to take it that way..

Perhaps he meant "Om" as "senthiratta thamizhOsai".
I have read also claims from saiva siddhanthins about "OM" being of Tamil origin.

I guess if we pass a scan over all words in texts
there will be lot more occurances of the "sound Om" in Tamil than in most
other languages! Like the Tamil verbal suffix for 'first person plural verb',
"seyvOm", "varuvOm", "vandhOm" etc.. So it is a "thamizhOsai".
(Tamil sound). It became a Sanskrit word. (vada chol aagi).

This has been exploited by some Tamil poets to bring out the manthram "Om".

Best seasons greetings to all

Srinivasan K