You are here: Sri Vaishnava Home Page : Bhakti List : Archives : December 1995

Re: Upadesa to Lakshmi Thaayaar

From: Mani Varadarajan (mani)
Date: Tue Dec 05 1995 - 12:08:23 PST

Murli writes:
*
* In the guru-parampara as described by Swami Vedanta Desika in his
* Rahasya-Traya-Saram (RTS), I am given to understand that the upadesham
* came from Lord Narayana to Goddess Lakshmi, and then on to Senesha (the
* Senadhipati of Narayana) and then so on and so forth to our present
* acharyas. If Lakshmi is Parama-Purusha (as some Visishtadwaitins believe)
* what was the need for the upadesham to be given to her.

The question is a good one and can be stated in even
broader terms.  Since Vishvaksena (Senesha) is a
nitya-suri according to our sampradaaya, his jnaana
has been infinite for all time.  Therefore, even
Vishvaksena does not need a specific upadesha.  Teaching
of this form is only necessary for errant jivas such
as ourselves.

I surmise that these stories about Lord Narayana
teaching Lakshmi, etc., are told just to arouse
devotion in the aspirant, and are not to be taken
as literal facts.  The same can be said for the
details contained in the sthala puraanas of the
divya desams.

Mani