HINDU PHILOSOPHY-SHIVA VISHNU WORSHIP

From the Bhakti List Archives

• December 24, 2002

(Note from Moderator:  I got the attached from this member through my personal mail, and responded to him through personal mail earlier.  I had thought that it was only a personal mail to me, and so responded to him personally.  I have attached my response to him at the end of this mail.  Even though the position of viSisTADvaita on anya devatA worship is well-known and has been discussed extensively before, still the following extract from SrI Sa'nkara's vyAkhyAnam for the 10th Slokam in SrI vishNu sahasra nAmam introductory part Slokam 10 (pavitrANAm pavitram.. ), is quoted widely by advaitins to argue the equality between all devatA-s.  If you respond to this mail, please respond with authentic quotes in support for the points you bring out, and keep the discussion at a purely philosophical level.).
DEAR FRIENDS,

THE VISHNU PURANA SAYS:

'BHAGAVAN WHO IS KNOWN AS JANARDANA IS ONE ONLY.HE GETS DIFFERENT
NAMES BY HIS ACTIONS OF CREATION,PRESERVATION AND DISSOLUTION AS
BRAHMA,VISHNU AND SIVA'.(1.2.60)

WHEN THE ONE PERSON DWELLS IN ALL BODIES,THEN THE TALK OF YOU,HE AND
I IS FUTILE.ALL THAT IS HERE IS ONE.THAT IS ACHUTA.THERE IS NOTHING
HIGHER THAN HE. HE IS I.HE IS YOU.HE ISALL THIS WHICH IS OF THE FORM
OF THE ATMAN. GIVE UP THE DELUSION OF DIFFERENCE.

Sri Mahesvara said in Bavisyat purana:
'The fools who perceive Me and Brahma as other than Visnu are men of
perverse thought'.
Mahesvara said in Kailasa Yatra in Harivamsa:
'You are origion of all creatures,similarly the middle and the end(ie
the creator,preserver and the destroyer)
from you  the whole universe began and in you everything merges'.
O! omnipresesent deva i am you. O! janardana! YOU are i alone. there
is no difference between us in name or reference'.O! govinda whatever
eminent names are current for you in the world they are my names
too.no doubt need be entertained about this'.
O janardana let worship of you be mine too, gopala,he who hates you
is a hater of me. there is no doubt of this.
"I am called Bhutapati as i am your expansiveness.there is nothing
devoid of you'.

O universal Atman! you are i. the reason for our appearing
differently is for the purpose of the world.whatever assurance of
freedom from fear has been promised by you is vouchsafed by me too.O!
sankara you should see yourself as non-diffrent from me.(visnu to
sankara).

"He is i;He is thou;and all this world with all the devas,asuras and
men is he. people under the delusion of nescience see difference
(between all this)'.

cdr bvn