Re:A Tribute to the Tall One

From the Bhakti List Archives

• December 19, 2002

Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha
Dear Sri Sri Vaishnavites,
I was going through this wonderful article and when I read about the
Thiruvikkiraman I got reminded of a nice paragraph from the Sangatthamizh
Malai book(by Smt Kothai Venkatapathy) and of-course, I've added my own
flavor to this and I apologise in case of those mistakes.
.
Utthaman - Shri Mukkur swamy did write about vamanan, but thiruvikkiraman is
being treated differently. Ulagalandhavan Utthaman, Vamanan is never being
referred to as Utthaman;) Why Thiruvikkiraman is called as Utthaman? This is
being justified by his act - act of measuring the 3 worlds? No! In the
process of measuring the three worlds, what does he do. He proves that he is
being free of partiality. He proves that he is the utthamotthaman by one act
 That is the act of placing his esteemed thiruvadis on all the jeevathmas in
all the lokas. He doesn't see whether the jeevathma is good or bad, is on
hell or heaven, is a human or non-human. He doesn't distinguish them. This
is his nature. Swaroopam. The paramathma swaroopam. "Akilaheya prathyanika
kalyanaika...". One of the fantastic kalyanagunas i.e the impartiality. More
than the fact that he is referred to in vedas or he helped indra, Andal
falls for him for this very swaroopa gunam. All jeevathmas were blessed by
him "without parapaksham". Probably the only time when all jeevathmas got
the REAL Shri Satari placed on their head directly from the Paramathman:).

Azhwars tell about themselves as "Neesanen niraivondrumilen", "avatthame
piravi thandhai", "naayen vandhadaindhen" etc and if Azhwars who are
considered to be the most utthama jeevatmas say that  they are sinful, then
one can think(?) about us:). It is beyond our thinking to comprehend how
much of karunya gunam(dhayai - Care, Magnanimity) the Utthaman has, to bless
everyone despite the fact that the whole earth is filled up with so many
papa-punya jeevatmas.

There by it gets proved that, of all the avatharams, the thiruvikkirama
avatharam is the utthamotthama avatharam - thus justified is the azhwar's
statement too - "Neesane niraivondrumilen, EnkaN pasam vaittha paranchudar
chodhikke".

It was only to praise the Sri Krishna avatharam that Shri Shri Swamy had
given that wonderful lecture quoted by Shri Madavakkannan. To speak of the
fact, kannan is the "Vanjakkalvan, mamaayan", he deceived everyone without
distinction:)) He took viswaroopam only to Arjuna and few people unlike the
ThiruVikkiraman who took viswaroopam for all and blessed EVERYONE just by
his divya sankalpam. The neengatha selvam is the blessings that we all got
by the touch of his lotus feet when he measured the universe. But all these
are his leelais and nonethless he is THE utthaman irrespective of what
incarnation he takes.

All credits on the above goes to Smt Kothai Venkatapathy(kothaiv@eth.net)
and mistakes are solely mine. Beg your pardon in case of any mistakes!

Azhwar Emperumanar Jeeyar Thiruvadigale Saranam!
Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan,
Lakshmi Narasimhan