Re: enquiry

From the Bhakti List Archives

• December 7, 2002

The answer lies in the method of fixing the date
of Sri Vaikuntha Ekadashi (aka Vijaya Ekadashi)
It is Margashira mAsam Sukla Paksha Ekadashi
(This is also the day for Gita Jayanti) based on Lunar
calculations and  Margazhi (Dhanur mAsam) 2nd
Ekadashi based on solar calculations  (?? I am only
guessing the dhanur mAsam details by looking at a
panchangam)

Srirangam, all kannada and telugu speaking families
(and probably some north Indian families) follow
the lunar calendar for most of the festivals. (However,
please note that Makara Sankranti, which is a huge
festival in AP, itself is strictly solar phenomenon.) For
these families AND at Srirangam, Sri Vaikuntha Ekadashi
is observed on December 15th.

All the mathams, divya desams and tamil speaking families
follow the solar calendar for the most part. For these,
Sri Vaikuntha Ekadashi falls on Jan 15th.

Instead of battling which one to strictly observe, I would like
to submit that since Sri Vaikuntha Ekadashi is the most auspicious
day of the year, AND as a divine boon, and this year, we've got
two of them in two months (!), let's make use of this
opportunity and celebrate both of them. I would love to see
us all celebrate both the days with strict fasting and
bhagavat-dyAnam, vEda pArAyanam all day long.

adiyen

rajeev