Re: worship of Srivaishnava purvArcharyas

From the Bhakti List Archives

• December 2, 2002

Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha
Dear Shri Shreyas,
That was an excellent post. I have couple of questions for you before even I
put forth my comments on the same. Thanks for helping me to understand
these.

1. Acharya Nishtai - If a person can do a complete sharanagathi to an
acharyan, why not the person do the same to the ultimate? A person who
cannot surrender himself to the ultimate cannot surrender himself to anyone
else right? So, we should really see what the word Nishtai means!

2. Ramanuja Nootrandhadhi - What I had mentioned was based on Shri U.Ve.
Velukkudi Krishna Swamy's upanyasam. If you actually see, Amudhanar would
have praised the lord in the first two lines and then the azhwar acharyas in
the next two lines. This upanyasam by Shri U.Ve. Velukkudi Krishna Swamy is
in the www.ramanuja.org website as a real media file. It is accessible for
everyone. In the upanyasam, Shri swamy has explained the nara-sthuthi and
the burning of the first composition by amudhanar and the reason WHY the
second composition was accepted by Shri Ramanujar.

3. Acharyas see the paramatma in everyone(and so does a Bhagavatha). All the
thaniyans were composed by prapannas who were acharyas. They worshipped
their own acharyas as per the tradition - Guru Vandhanam(once again I repeat
the quote - Munnor Mozhindha Muri Thappamar Kettu). So, out of their
affection and respect to their acharyas, they composed/sung those thaniyans.
Once again, there is a difference between acharya vandhanam and the
paramathma sharanagathi. Please quote me one slokha in Bhagavad Gita where
Bhagavan Shri Krishnar says that Acharya Vandhanam will give moksham to a
jeevathma. He proudly says, "MAAM EKAM SHARANAM VRAJA - SARVA DHARMAAN
PARITHYAJYA". And this is the ONLY slokha that Shri Ramanujar has taken up
for the prapatthi margam. The one and only slokha. To me, there are two
things. One is the tradition - which is more of a discipline and rules and
regulations that evolve and are modified depending on the way of life in
that particular yuga/varsham etc... i.e a time period. The other one is
spirituality i.e the philosophy. The former has the Karma Kandam as the
basis and is popularly known as RELIGION(in the modern world) and the rules
and the disciplines change based on the yuga dharma. The
latter(spirituality) is based on the Brahma Kandam. It never changes. It is
just a simple philosophy(but the most difficult one to follow). All that it
says is brahmam is one and only one and we should have maha-vishwasam on him
and we should follow the RELIGION to perform our duties as service to the
brahmam and we are only for his ISHTA VINIYOGAM. Acharya Vandhanam is more
of a tradition. It has nothing to do with the philosophy. Based on the
yuga(this kali yuga), our acharyas have adapted few ways that could be
easily followed by everyone. Please do quote me a single pasuram where the
azhwars have mentioned that one should do sharanagathi on an acharya("vaai
kondu maanidam pada vandha kaviyenallom"). Madhura kavi azhwar was in full
praise of Nammazhwar, but he never preached to anyone that one should do
Sharanagathi to Nammazhwar. Prapatthi is mahavishwasam and that should be
only on the ULTIMATE. Everyone CAN do prapatthi. But the reality is, some
do! some don't! Some don't even understand it! The third category goes for
the acharya vandhanam or saranagathi whatever people may call. It is only
for getting the ACHARYA KADAKSHAM through which one will be able to
understand prapatthi. That is the whole idea of samashrayanam. Once again,
if one does Acharya Saranagathi, it is only to understand or know how to do
the Paramathma Saranagathi. Shri Ramanujar approved the
Thamarugandha/Thanugandha Thirumeni, only because Shri Vaishnavas wanted
their future generations to see him as he was and NOT FOR THE WORSHIP. I am
not against Acharya Vandhanam, but if we are able to understand the
Paramathma Sharanagathi then it doesn't matter - is my point.

Well, bhagavadha sevai, acharya sevai and acharya vandhanam all these will
get one the acharya/bhagavatha kadaksham and that will show the path to
moksham. So, acharya/bhagavatha kadaksham is one of the upayam. According to
me, if one does sharanagathi to his acharya and not to the ultimate(this may
not happen in the Shri Vaishnava tradition, but may definitely happen in
other traditions, right?) then it is of no use. Since this list is common to
everyone(not just for the ShriVaishnavas), I tried to explain the same, in
common terms. For Shri Vaishnavas, Acharya Sharanagathi makes sense. For
others? There is no hard and fast rule that they should do Sharanagathi to
our Acharyas. If I just explain things that are applicable only to Shri
Vaishanvas then I would fail in my duty of explaining Shri Ramanujar's
Prapatthi to everyone. I just tried to make sure my mail targets everyone.

Learned scholars, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Any
misinformation is only due my agnyanam and anything that is right is only
due to my swamy's kadaksham.
My humble apologies in case I am wrong and I request all the great Shri
Vaishnavas to pardon me for my agnyanam.

Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan,
Lakshmi Narasimhan