Re: worship of Srivaishnava purvArcharyas (was kamba rAmAyanam)

From the Bhakti List Archives

• December 2, 2002

Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha
Dear Sri Visu,
What a quote it was! Waaw. It was probably the best pasuram to quote in this
context. What I tried to put across in my big mail had been simply explained
by azhwar in just 4 lines:) Thanks a lot for bringing out the appropriate
reference and explaining the bottom-line - that "He(azhwar) knows what
matters!" Yes. That is what it is, really. It doesn't matter what we call
him and what form we address, as long as we know what really matters:)
Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan,
Lakshmi Narasimhan

>From: Visu9@aol.com
>To: bhakti-list@yahoogroups.com
>CC: visu9@aol.com
>Subject: Re: worship of Srivaishnava purvArcharyas (was kamba rAmAyanam)
>Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 23:25:34 -0500
>
>  /Om namO nArAyaNAya |
>
>  /namaskArams to all members.
>
>There are so may postings so sure of non-worship of Lord /SivA. I am not
>sure that in the light of statements made by no less an /AzvAr than
>/nammAZvAr, it is possible to make definite statements about the so-called
>other deities.
>
>Here is a /pAcuram from /nammAZvAr, which is beautiful in its humble
>approach to a complex subject. Please note that no conclusive statement is
>made other than the fact that the Lord is truly mysterious. Notice also the
>employmnet of a specific neutral word like /kaNNan to denote the Supreme
>Being. (/kaNNan is not /rAman, or vishNu in its meaning. It is neutral in
>the sense that it is specific to Lord /krushNA. It means darling or pupil
>of the eye.)
>
>/oLir/maNi vaNNan enkO;
>
>  /oruvan enR/Etta ninRa;
>
>  /naLir/mati caTayan enkO;
>
>  /nAn/mukak kaTavuL enkO;
>
>  /aLi/makiZ t/ulakam ellAm;
>
>  /paTaittavai Etta ninRa;
>
>  /kaLi/malar tuLavan emmAn;
>
>  /kaNNanai mAyanEyE ||

Note from Moderator: SrI Viswanathan's statement  "I am not