Re: Ramayanam and Divya Prabhandam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 29, 2002

I beg to differ.  It is a popular myth that Rama did not kill Vali in straight combat because of the fact that Vali's necklace would bestow him with half of Rama's strength.  (By the way, while the strength of the wearer of the necklace would increase by half the strength of the opponent, nowhere has it been stated in Valmiki Ramayna that the strength of the opponent would diminish to that extent.  This is a finer point to be noted.)  More over, Indra's necklace could obviously have had no effect on Rama!  What is Indra and who is Rama!

Kamban mentions about the necklace of Indra in only one verse.  He does not attach any importance to it.  In Valmiki Ramayana, when Vali was lying on the ground during his last moments, the Poet has this to say: (translated from Sanskrit)

"Even though he lay fallen to the ground, neither grace nor life breath nor vital energy nor prowess left the body of the high-minded monkey.  The well-known excellent bejewelled chain of gold bestowed (on him) by Indra (the ruler of gods) preserved the life, vital energy and grace of Vali, the (the foremost of monkeys)."  (Kishkindha Kanda, Canto XVII, Sloka 3 and 4)

Rama was standing before him at this time.  If it was true that half of Rama's strength would have been received by Vali, in the case of a straight fight, then the question arises as to why Vali did not receive it now!  Why could he not rise up now!  Rama was standing before him.  And half his strength should have been received by him, as Valmiki indicates that the chain was still active in its power and was preserving his vital energy.  Therefore the argument that Rama had to kill him from behind the tree due to this reason, does not hold water.

Right Hon'ble Srinivasa Sastriyar points to the fact that Rama did not kill Vali during the first fight between him and Sugriva.  'I could not identify or differentiate between the two of you,' he says.  We know that Sugriva resumed his fight with a creeper worn around his neck.  When the necklace of Indra was shining so bright on the chest of Vali, was it possible that Rama could not differentiate between these two?  There are so many interesting points of deeper significance in the Vali episode.

Kamban gives seven valid reasons justifying the killing of Vali, through Rama.  Rama advances six arguments and the seventh one is put forth by Lakshmana.  In Valmiki Ramayana, only two arguments are advanced.

Kamban depicts the association of Sugriva as 'sarana gathi'.  There was no pact between Rama and Sugriva.  There is not even a single verse that Sugriva utters in Kamban, that assures Rama that he would assist him in the search for Sita, until the killing of Vali.  Hanuman handles the situation until then.

It is also not right to say that Vali turned a devotee of Rama 'suddenly.'  He had great respect for Rama much before that.  That is why he scoffs at Tara when she forewarns him about Sugriva's association with Sri Rama.  He ridicules her and says, "Nor should any anxiety be entertaind by you from the side of Sri Rama on my account.  How can Sri Rama - who knows what is right and cognizes his duty - perpetrate sin (in the form of killing one who is innocent?"  (Kishkindha Kanda, Canto XVI, Sloka 5)

Here is a parallel from Kamban.  ‘thambiyar alladhu thanakku vEru uyir imbarin iladhu ena eNNi Eyndhavan’ He lives on this earth with the sole thought that his younger brothers are his very soul.  His quality is such.  ‘embiyum yaanum utru edhrindha pOrinil’ (when such being the case) in the battle between my brother and I, ‘ambu idai thodukkumO aruLin aazhiyaan’ Do you think that such a person **who is like the very ocean of mercy** would shoot his arrow on me?

I have written the Vali Episode in detail, as depicted in Valmiki Ramayana as well as in Kamban in 65 instalments in ChennaiOnline, running to about 75 A4 size pages.  This is a very vast subject that cannot be written in one mail.  But, I have my own reservations about discussing this any further, knowing the scant respect that many have for Kamban in this list.  I was deeply hurt when people went to the extent of questioning the character of Kamban, when there is no authentic version available on his life, especially so when Kamban has in hundreds of verses in the Ramayana emphasised the value of character.

Thanks for your patience.

Hari Krishnan