You are here: Sri Vaishnava Home Page : Bhakti List : Archives : December 2001

Re: nityatvam/paratvam

xsrinath_at_netscape.net
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 20:11:55 PST

"murali_kadambi" <murali_kadambi@yahoo.com> wrote:

>This paradox probably is most difficult to resolve in dwaita, and
>probably most easily resolved in advaita.  Since we don't want to get
>into polemics (I am not even trained in that anyway), let's see the
>vishishtadwaitic explanation.  The solution here also is pretty
>convincing.

I agree with this statement, i.e. that the paradox of eternal jeeva
is most easily resolved in advaita, least in dvaita, and with some
explanation in vishistAdvaita.  This is because of how the schools
define jeeva-brahman:  they are identical in advaita, jeeva is the
dependent and subordinate entity in visistAdvaita, while jeeva is
an independent but inferior entity in dvaita.  I am recalling this
from a lecture by Sri SMS Chari.  Please correct if mistaken.

Truly,
-Srinath C.