You are here: Sri Vaishnava Home Page : Bhakti List : Archives : December 2000

Re: Maayanai Mannu Vada Mathurai....

From: Mani Varadarajan (mani_at_alum.calberkeley.org)
Date: Thu Dec 21 2000 - 10:29:40 PST

A fellow bhAgavata sent me the following informative note
in this regard:

   Reg your quote from SrImad RAmAyanam : While there are many
   such references, even AzhwArs have sung a lot about the great
   purity of Gangai ( PeriAzhwAr Thirumozhi and Peria Thirumozhi
   has more references to my knowledge).  "Gangai gangai enRa
   vAcakatthAlE kaDuvinaigaL kaLaindiDukiRkum ...."
   <PeriAzhwAr : Even the chanting of the name of gangai will
    eradicate many sins ; what to speak about bathing in it ? >.

Sri Malolan notes:

   The pramAnam which you quote from the bAla kAndam does not
   show that ganga came in contact which shiva's limbs.

The literal words from Srimad Ramayanam are "bhava-anga-patitam toyam"
-- the waters that fell on the limbs of Bhava (Siva).  I am basing
my understanding of this line on an upanyAsam by Srimat Tirukkudandai
Andavan Swami, popularly known as Kannan Swami. Kannan Swami continues
to give another interpretation. It is said in the shastras that one
should use water from the sky directly, but only that which has touched
the earth.  Well, it just so happens that Siva's body has all the tattvas
in it, including 'pRthvi' or earth. So because the Ganga water coming
from the sky touched the body of Siva, it became fit for usage.

   P.S <I do not intend to extrapolate this thread into a shiva-vishnu debate. I
   have expressed my thoughts on the subject.>

I concur 100%. Thanks for the positive sentiment!

aDiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan,