Re: Maayanai Mannu Vada Mathurai....

From the Bhakti List Archives

• December 21, 2000

Dear Sri Mani Varadarajan,

You wrote:

>(b) The criticism of the Ganga river sounds rather harsh.
>    I would consider it a privilege, as nearly all Vaidikas
>    do, to bathe in the same water that touched the body
>    of a great bhAgavata such as Siva.  When Sage Vishvamitra
>    was guiding Rama and Lakshmana through the forest, Valmiki
>    Maharishi writes:

>      bhavAnga-patitam toyam pavitram iti paspRSuH |

The pramAnam which you quote from the bAla kAndam does not show that ganga came
in contact which shiva's limbs.
According to the purAnam of gangA she was only in touch with the hair on
shivA's head but not his limbs.

Ganga originated from the kamandalu of Brahma as he(Brahma) washed Trivikrama's
leg (Sriman Narayana's leg) when Sriman narayana kept his leg on the heavens
during vamana avataram. This way ganga was in contact with the limbs of Sriman
Narayana but not with shiva.

Moreover there are no limbs on the hair. *Ganga never came in touch with
shiva's limbs* but only with shivas hair,

P.S
Please excuse any mis-interpretations. Errors if any, are entirely adiyEn's.

Trivikramar thiruvadigale saranam.

adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan,

mAlOlan cadAmbi