Re: Maayanai Mannu Vada Mathurai....

From the Bhakti List Archives

• December 20, 2000

Dear Sudarsan,

Nice to hear of the vibrant activity in Singapore.
I have a couple of observations, if you don't mind:

(a) The normal order of events during mArgazhi mAsam
    is FIRST the usha: kAla visesha ArAdhana, including
    tiruppAvai recital and only then the prAta: sandhyA.
    The reason for this is that the visesha ArAdhana
    is done before sunrise, so it belongs before the sandhyA
    (clarified by Srimat Poundarikapuram Andavan Swami).

(b) The criticism of the Ganga river sounds rather harsh.
    I would consider it a privilege, as nearly all Vaidikas
    do, to bathe in the same water that touched the body
    of a great bhAgavata such as Siva.  When Sage Vishvamitra
    was guiding Rama and Lakshmana through the forest, Valmiki
    Maharishi writes:

      bhavAnga-patitam toyam pavitram iti paspRSuH |

      They bathed in the waters [of the Ganga] considering
      it pure because of contact with Siva's limbs

           [ SrImad rAmAyaNam, bAla-kANDam ]

    Perhaps it is 'na hi nindA stuti', but still a little
    bit troublesome.

With regards
aDiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan,
Mani