RE: Sri Narayaneeyam-99th dasakam, 10th slokam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• August 24, 1999

Dear Sri Kristijan Vesel,

thanks for noting that point.  I dont remember who wrote the posting and I
am sure that person has done an accurate translation of that verse.  As I
understand,  Narayaneeeyam was written by Narayana Bhattadri, a great
devotee in Kerala, near Guruvayoor.  My guru, Dr. N.S. Anantharangachar
once mentioned to me that Narayana Bhattadri - was a "trimurthi atita
vadi", ie. One who thinks that the Highest Brahman is other than brahma,
vishnu or maheswara. He is not a visistadvaitin as per definition, though
personally I love his "narayaneeyam".  In fact, I was driving today
listening to "Santana Gopalachar's Narayaneeyam" with tears in my eyes
since it was so bhakti oriented. Even visistadvaitic scholars are all
praises to Narayana Bhattadri due to the amount of Bhakti he had to Lord
Guruvayoorappan.  Narayana Bhattadri is excellent and there is no doubt
about it.  Personally, I have little knowledge about narayaneeyam, other
than the fact that Lord Guruvayoorappan, one of my favorite krishna forms
is being prayed to in that sloka.

Incidentally, Lord Narayana in visistadvaita has different types of forms,
one is amurta or "formless";  Dont jump to the conclusion that this
formlessness is same as attributeless.  Formlessness is the state of being
"vibhu" or omnipresent.  How can he have form and still be omnipresent?
 this question is natural.  Once Dr. Anantha rangachar told me that
omnipresence is defined differently - "sarva murtha dravya sambadhitvam"
-meaning He could have form and still be omnipresent.  As per this
definition, omnipresence is that aspect by which lord is connected to all
entities with or without form.  To my mind omnipresence still makes Lord
more formless like space than with form.  I still have to understand what
Dr. Anantha rangachar means.

However,

what is said here as "attributeless form" is somewhat confusing to me,
other than taking that to be what was mentioned by Narayana Bhattadri.  I
am sure He is a bhakta par excellence and hence he could not be meaning
totally attributeless.

adiyen Krishna Kalale