Re: Love vs. legalism in Vaishnavism?

From the Bhakti List Archives

• August 16, 1999

Venkatesh Elayavalli writes:
> The correct usage would be "limited ritual as required by
> one's acharya". Is it not true that the one's birth status
> requiers certain rituals, for example, Bhramins are
> required to perform more rituals then the non-bhramins,
> seeking refuge?

Dear Venkatesh,

My reply is based on my limited exposure to our acharya-purushas'
practices.  I don't think there is any significant difference
in the principles or practices of SaraNAgati between brahmins,
non-brahmins, man, woman, child, etc. I certainly do not know
of any significant ritualistic difference (there may be a minor
different in usage of Vedic mantras).

Mani