Re: painted gopurams

From the Bhakti List Archives

• August 10, 1999

Namaskaram:

I read with interest the recent posting from Sri Mani Varadarajan about the
trend in garish colors adorning our temples. This is true and a most
unfortunate occurrence. Sri Vaishnava temples were known for the soft sand
and grey colors by which the delicate artistry and 'saatvik' features of our
deities were clearly seen.The many carvings and sculptures portraying scenes
from our epics and puranas would emerge delicately from the heights of the
temple towers. While the fondness for bright colors is well known with
Tamils, the clothing and sarees bearing the bright contrasts of yellow
(manjal), earth red (arakku), green and orange being the favorite shades,
Sri Vaishnava taste was always pointed towards the understated.Our temples
were always known for the quietitude of the worship and the intense
saturation of bhakti which was never loud and overtly proclaimed.

During the renovation and remodeling of many temple gopurams, the popular
tastes of the local people seem to have spilled over from folk and film
culture onto the sacred spaces of worship. Significantly( certainly
thankfully), the senior members of my family while supervising the
restoration of the massive Nambi shrine at Tirukurungudi,insisted on the
colors remaining like the original bleached sand.

I have nothing against color,since I wear a lot of it in my personal life.
But I would rather not have my senses assaulted with a plethora of gaudy
hues when I enter the portals of a Perumal temple. Just look at how
beautiful the Vishnu temples in Kerala are!! An oasis of calm and serenity!

respectfully,

Anita Ratnam