You are here: Sri Vaishnava Home Page : Bhakti List : Archives : August 1999

Re: A matter of synonyms?

From: Thomas Head (tlh_at_netdoor.com)
Date: Sun Aug 08 1999 - 16:47:12 PDT

On Sun, 8 Aug 1999, sudarshan madabushi wrote:

> Is there a difference between "guru" and "AchAryA"?

It had been explained to me that a guru is one who teaches deliberately
and primarily by instruction, while an acharya teaches by instruction and
example.  You might say, to borrow theological terms, that a guru is an
"efficient cause" of his teachings while an acharya is a "material cause."
A guru lives by his teachings, while an acharya lives his teachings.
	My understanding might not be complete, but I've had no trouble
with this definition thus far.

Peace,

Tom

"Being properly distracted for a moment is child's play; being
  rightly distracted for a lifetime is an art."
			-- Douglas Adams