From the Bhakti List Archives

• August 30, 1998

Repected Swamin,
As far as my limited knowledge goes, I think there are many references to
this aspect of how to do dhyana, what are the required aspects etc. All
this information is available in the Sri Bhashyam itself.

In the beginning itself, Bhagavan Ramanuja defines and reiterates the
definition of Dhyana by saying that
"Dhyanam nama taila-dhaaravat avicchinna smrti-santatih...."
Dhyana is that process wherein a person constantly concentrates on the
divine form of the Lord without any interruption, just like when an oil
is poured form one vessel to another at a particular speed, there will
not be any spurts or diturbances, unlike when water is poured down, ther
will be spurts in the fall.  thus, one has to meditate without thinking
of anything else.  Even if the mind wanders away from the form of the
Lord, one has to try and bring it back to the same form. In Bhagavad Gita
Krishna has given specific instructions regarding this and the same has
been explained in detail by Ramanujacharya. Krishna says :
Yato Yato niscarati manah cancalam asthiram
Tatah tatah niyamya etat atmanyava vasam nayet.

So I feel that beleiving that only advaitins have enumerated these
aspects is not appropriate.  Apart from this the question of Dhyana
arises only in the case of Visistadwaita and is not at all relevant to
Advaita.  Advvaitins say that the Brahman is nirguna - deviod of all
attributes, nirakara - formless etc.  How can Dhyana happen when there is
no form at all.  What will the person meditate on ? So I feel that the
Dhyana question arises and is answered in the Visistadwaita only.  Apart
from this, I personally dont think that terming Ramakrishna Parahamsa as
an advaitin is correct, since in many places, in his authnticated works,
he has said that Advaita concept is totally wrong in the stage we are in
and gives many examples to prove this.

If anyone wants me to write more on this topic, I will do so.  I will
aslo try to get the original words of our Purva Acharyas to reiterate
these facts.

I request all Bhagavatas to kindly let me know of thier opinion in this
regard.
Adiyen,
Alwar.