Re[2]: The Name Vemkateshwara

From the Bhakti List Archives

• August 21, 1998

     Dear BhAgavathas,

     Sometime back today I had given an explanation for the name
     VEmkatEshwaran and you would have studied the same. Sri Lakshmanan
     brought out the actual meaning of the word as he had heard it from HH
     Sri Tridandi Jeeyar Swami.

     Please go thro' the reply that I gave to Sri Lakshmanan.

     I request great scholars in our list to enlighten me on one aspect in
     our pAsurams. If our AzhwArs always used only the tamizh
     representations of the Sanskrit names as I have written below, how
     would they want to use the entire sanskrit word "VEm" and "katam" as
     in the pAsuram "vEm katangaL meimmEl..."

     Or is it the name Venkatan or VEmkatan for that sake has a different
     meaning. I now strongly feel I was wrong in my reply. I place me
     sincere apologies before all the bhaktas for this and request you to
     enlighten me on this.

     adiyEn RAmAnuja dAsan

     Thirumalai Vinjamoor Venkatesh

Subject: Re[2]: The Name Vemkateshwara
Author:  TV Venkat at USMTNMO2
Date:    8/21/98 1:28 PM

     Dear LakshmaNan.

     Well, I may be wrong in my interpretation. Actually I was referring to
     the pAsuram in ThiruvAimozhi " vEm kadangaL meimmEl ...". I thought
     this is only Tamizh word because once again I thought our AzhwArs used
     only pure tamizh in the pAsurams except for some names of the PerumAL
     which are always in Sanskrit. For example in Thiruvaimozhi NammAzhwAr
     refers to name HrisheekEsan as irudeekEsan and VishNu as "Vittu".

     Also our PeriAzhwAr in all the phalasruti pAsuram expresses his name
     as "vittuchittan" and not "VishNuchittan".

     If the words are sanskrit and not tamizh, then it is only my poor
     knowledge and rather misinterpretation, which made me write that.

     Thankyou for enlightening me.