Re: Question : "shaTa-kopa"

From the Bhakti List Archives

• August 21, 1998

Dear Sriman Gopalaswamy :

SaTha means  the saTha vaayu or Satha breath
and not cunning . kOpA means anger and
hence the compounded name of SathakOpA
means one who was angry at Satha
vaayu and drove it away by a hUnkAram ,
while he was in his mother's womb .

Why is this Satha Vaayu bad for the AzhwAr to
be angry at it ? This Vaayu is considered
responsbile for Transmigratory births even
while a child is in the womb of its mother .
Azhwaar is credited with the conquest of this
Vaayu and thereby put an end to the cycle of
transmigratory births . He was a muktha Jivan
and had incarnated to bless us with his Sri Sookthis
to liberate us .He would have not put up
with the Satha Vaayu and its chEshtais .

Being blessed to bear his name , thanks to the foresight
of my parents , I am happy to be the first one to answer
your question on this important point .

My name was given to me because I was born in
Kettai nakshthram , which is the constellation
under which the First AhObila Matam Jeeyar ,
Sri Adhi VaNN SatakOpa Jeeyar was born . I asked my
father for having chosen this name for me and he
gave me the above explanation . I Knew one
SangItha VidvAn by the Name , Sri V.V.Sadagopan ,
who used "d" and "g" in spelling his name .
I adopted it as a  boy and that is why I spell
my name as " Sadagopan " instead of " SathakOpan "as
it should be spelled .

Satha also means inertia and SathakOpan means ,
the One who conquered inertia that prevents one
from seeking the lotus feet of the SarvalOka
SaraNyan .One who is active can therfore be also
called SathagOpan as one , who is angry at inertia .
This is a loukhika explanation .

V.Sadagopan