You are here: Sri Vaishnava Home Page : Bhakti List : Archives : August 1998

Re: Questions

From: Mani Varadarajan (mani_at_be.com)
Date: Mon Aug 17 1998 - 10:41:49 PDT

Sri Sadagopan wrote:
> I recall a similar occasion with H.H. The DevanArvilAgam
> Jeeyar ( 43rd Jeeyar ). His mother , brother and wife
> were totally opposed to Sri Lakshmi NarasimhAcchAr
> swamy  ( purvAsrama Name of the Jeeyar ) accepting the sanyAsa
> aasramam at the behest of H.H. the InjimEttu Jeeyar (42nd Jeeyar).
> They would not hear of it , but were helpless
> in stopping him .

How is this possible? From what I recall about the
process of taking sannyAsa, one must request and have
the permission of one's parents (if one is unmarried,
i.e., a brahmacAri) or one's wife (if one is married,
i.e., a gRhastha) before one can enter sannyAsa ASrama.

If the 43rd jIyar's wife did not want him to enter
the fourth ASrama when he was a gRhastha, should he
not have refused?

Mani